Week 9: Social Media Growth, I Learned Something!
Last night I went to Chili's with some friends, one of whom happens to be a very successful content creator. His name is Blaine, and he has spent nearly a decade creating social media content for a variety of companies, ranging from the aquarium where he works to his side hustle buying and selling Pokémon cards. Considering our shared interest in content creation and cardboard addiction, it probably isn't surprising that we get along pretty well.
At one point during dinner, Blaine pulled me aside and gave me a bit of a crash course on how social media actually works behind the scenes. His advice was surprisingly simple: you need engagement.
Likes, comments, shares, saves, watch time... all of these interactions tell the algorithm that people find your content interesting. Once that happens, the platform begins recommending your content to more people, who (hopefully) engage with it as well. It's essentially a snowball effect. The difficult part, however, is getting that first push. If nobody knows who you are, why would they interact with your content in the first place?
His answer was one I've heard before but never really appreciated until now: overwhelm the algorithm with content. In March, when we first started talking, Blaine tasked me with posting content daily. It didn't matter what I was posting, how creative or unique it was. Just create consistently. Experiment often. Every post becomes another opportunity for someone new to discover you. Most of those posts probably won't go anywhere, and that's okay. The goal early on isn't to go viral; it's to collect data. Which videos get watched all the way through? Which thumbnails attract clicks? Which topics generate comments? Over time, those analytics begin telling a story about what your audience actually wants, allowing you to refine your content into something people genuinely enjoy.
That conversation immediately made me think about this week's readings. We often talk about social media platforms as places where people create and share content, but behind every successful creator is an enormous amount of invisible data. Every click, scroll, like, comment, and share becomes another signal that platforms use to decide what deserves attention. In many ways, the audience becomes a collaborator in the creative process. Their interactions influence what creators make next, while the algorithm determines which ideas receive the opportunity to grow.
Looking ahead to our produsage assignment, this has me thinking less about simply building a useful resource and more about building something that people will actually discover and contribute to. Simply creating a website and posting a link probably won't be enough. If nobody finds it, it doesn't really matter how valuable the content is.
Right now, I'm imagining something similar to my curation project, but hosted on a platform that I build myself. It could be a website, blog, or even a Discord server that collects YouTube videos, articles, tutorials, and community discussions centered around the topic I'm exploring. Rather than acting as a static library of resources, I'd like it to become a place where people can recommend new materials, discuss ideas, and contribute resources of their own. That feels much closer to the spirit of produsage: a community where users aren't just consuming knowledge, but actively helping create and improve it.
Of course, the real challenge isn't building the platform. It's convincing people to show up in the first place. If Blaine is right, and I think he is, then growing a community may have less to do with having the perfect idea and more to do with consistently creating opportunities for people to discover it.
As a final note for this week, I want to share that posting daily works. In March, when I first started, I had 150 followers. Tonight, after Chilis, and posting daily for several months, I now have 954... just a few away from 1000!
Congratulations on your follower base improvement! I learned something during our detox week, when our friends were visiting for the 4th of July. Nowadays companies have a whole department where employees make sure to improve the algorithm. It is called 'attention economy.' One thing is certain, a lot of selling happens on TikTok, through the paid influencers, and it does not even matter to the customers that they overpay. So, you are doing great!
ReplyDeleteI admire your ambition when it comes to our produsage project. I am thinking about something that would help my adult students, but not overwhelm them. The truth is that technology can feel scary to L2 speakers of English. Imagine if you had to make a post in a language that you do not speak, but wait! The platform itself is in the language you do not speak!
Congrats on 954 — I'm not going to argue with a number that went up. But I want to push on one seam in Blaine's advice, because I think it's two pieces of advice wearing one coat. "Post consistently, experiment, read what happens" — yes. That's just prototyping. "It doesn't matter what you post" — that's where you lose me.
DeleteHere's why: The algorithm doesn't hand you followers, it hands you an audience trained on what you already fed it. So the gimmick-now-substance-later plan has a nasty back half: the people you recruited don't engage with the new thing, the platform reads that as decline, and the snowball rolls backward. You can't bank reach in one currency and spend it in another.
Another classmate and I got at this from the opposite direction this week. She brought up Montana State's library, which pulled out of automated, personality-free posting and started writing like actual humans — and that's what built the community. Not volume. Voice. Her sharpest line was that people stay engaged when the online space is a supported version of their offline life, not an escape from it. That's a harder test than the analytics one, and I think it's the right one.
Where you and she actually agree, though, is bigger than where you clash: nobody finds a good thing on its own. You both landed on it — you can't just build the resource and post a link. Discovery has to be designed. She'd say design it around voice and recognition; you'd say design it around volume and iteration.
My honest read is you're both right, and the fix is to experiment on format while holding topic and voice constant. Same data. No bait-and-switch.
Of your about 800 new followers, how many have ever commented?